Sunday, November 24, 2013

Your Eating Habits

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you're tired of hearing about diets.  Eat this, don't eat that, do this one weird tip to cut down belly fat, blah, blah, blah.  Everyone is different. Some diets that work for you may not work for me, and I've tried sooo many things.  Take what I list here with a grain of salt because this advise may not work for you, but may work for other people.  Here is what I found out:

Soy - for most people it will tear up your stomach, cause bloating, gas and intestinal spasming.  It's in most meat products, Asian foods, and many other items.

High Frutose Corn Syrup - This is nothing more than a type of sweetner, but it is the number 1 culprit in weight gain.  It's in everything!  Check the labels of products before you buy.  From juices, to ketchup, to bread - yes, bread!  But High Frutose Corn Syrup isn't the only bad sweetner, ALL excessive sweetners are going to make you gain weight.  Why does it cause weight gain?  Because as we age our tummy looses the ability to breakdown and digest these types of sweetners.  This will also cause bloating, gas and intestinal spasming.

Lactose - the majority of us can't handle milk or dairy products, but without ingesting these things we lose bone density as we age.  Well, I've discovered the joys of Almond Milk.  It's the most awesomeist thing ever!  My favoriate is the Almond Breeze vanilla flavor.  It's not great to cook with, but drink a glass a day and you'll get all the calcium you need plus some.  AND it'll help quench that sweet crave you always get after dinner.  Alternatively, other people like coconut milk instead and that might be something you'd prefer.  Do your homework before you make a decision.

Gluten - this affects tons of people and I'm so glad there are products available without gluten.  I'm sure some of you have heard of the term 'wheat belly.'  What they're referring to is gluten. Unfortunately there is no longer such a thing as real wheat bread anymore. Most of the wheat is refined, bleached and all of the good stuff destroyed before it's put into our foods.  A great alternative is rice noodles, rice products, etc.  Here is a link I found with more information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gluten-free-diet/my01140

Smaller portions - there really is something to be said about eating smaller portions.  I've never been a big fan of breakfast, but having some oat meal, or Greek yogurt with granola does help.  When lunch time comes around I have a meal I made the night before.  Make sure you eat lots of fruits and vegs in between for a snack so when dinner time comes you'll have only a very light, and I do mean very light, meal.  I'll have a tiny portion of fish and vegs of some sort.


No comments:

Post a Comment